Handsling has a proud history of supporting exciting young riders in the early stages of their careers. World Tour pro Fred Wright rode a Handsling frame in his junior days, as well as Team GB track stars Josh Giddings and Oscar Nilsson-Julien, among others.
The next name to add to that list is Rory Gravelle. The Welsh teenager has just signed with the AG2R Citroën U19 team for 2024 (below), providing him with a pathway to the pro peloton.
It's been an absolute pleasure seeing Rory winning everything in sight on all three of our frames - the A1R0evo road bike, TR3evo track bike, and CEXevo cyclocross bike (see Racing Highlights at bottom of page).
We'll never forget meeting Rory and dad Rob a few years ago and presenting Rory with his Handsling road and track frames, both painted in identical custom colours (photo below). Rory was so down-to-earth and humble, just letting his legs do the talking on race day.
When you see him in action, you know he's got what it takes to make it all the way. He's got exceptional race awareness, good bike handling, and a powerful sprint. These skills are most apparent on the road, but also on the track and even in cyclocross, where he won the U16 Welsh National Champs on his CEXevo (below).
It's been brilliant seeing his progress with Velo Myrddin Cycling Club, Welsh Cycling Youth Academy, and the British Cycling GB National School of Racing.
He said: "Being offered a place on the AG2R Citroën U19 team for 2024 is an exciting opportunity for me where I can learn, develop and be part of a UCI team racing out in Europe."
"I can’t thank Simon and the Handsling team enough for all their help with what has developed into an amazing and responsive road bike. The A1R0evo is an incredible bike and is at home on both flat and hilly races."
Although our frames are raced by elite pros around the world, we'll always have a special bond with the talented youths and juniors who cut their teeth with Handsling.
We wish Rory the very best in this next stage of his career and will continue to look out for him racing on the track with his TR3evo (below). We fully expect to one day be cheering him on in the Tour de France.
Rory Gravelle Race Highlights on Handsling frames
2022: Youth A
- 1st - Oulton Park National Youth Series
- 1st - Pembrey National Youth Series
- 2nd - Scottish National Youth Series
- 3rd - Loughborough National Youth Series
- 1st - British Youth School Games (Criterium)
- 1st - British Youth School Games (Team Pursuit)
- 1st - British Youth School Games (Keirin)
- 2nd - Ingooigem 1.17.3 (U17 Belgium)
- 2nd - National Youth Track Championships (Scratch)
- 1st - Welsh Cyclocross Championships
2023: Youth A
- 1st - Icebreaker Omnium (Track)
- 1st - GC British National Youth Series - Pembrey (Road)
- 1st - British National Youth Series - Oulton Park (Road)
- 1st - British National Youth Omnium Series - Carmarthen (Track)
- 1st - GC British National Youth Series - Isle of Man (Road)
- 1st - British National Youth Omnium Series (Track)
- 1st - GC British National Youth Series - Loughborough (Road)
- 1st - GC British National Youth Series - Scarborough (Road)
- 1st - National Youth Road Series